John Fletcher’s self-examination
The Wesleyan preacher and theologian John Fletcher of Madeley drew up a series of questions for self-examination. I found them a helpful stimulus.
- Did I awake spiritual, and did I keep my mind from wandering?
- Have I got nearer God this day in times of prayer, or have I given way to a lazy idle spirit?
- Has my faith been weakened or strengthened this day?
- Have I this day walked by faith?
- Have I denied myself in all unkind words and thoughts?
- Have I made the most of my precious time, as far as I was able to?
- Have I kept my heart pure?
- What have I done for God’s people?
- Have I spent money on myself when I might have used it for the cause of God?
- Have I governed well my tongue this day?
- In how many instances have I denied myself?
- Do my life and conversation adorn the gospel of Jesus Christ?