Says Nathan Bingham:
Yesterday I had the privilege of attending a short seminar on writing and editing. One of the sessions was from Greg Bailey, Director of Publications for Reformation Trust Publishing (yes, a real-life editor). During His session he offered the following 10 writing tips.
- Know what you’re trying to say.
- Never assume your audience knows what you’re trying to say.
- Find a creative way to approach / introduce what you’re trying to say.
- Write an initial draft quickly.
- Be a great revisor.
- Get rid of unnecessary words.
- Maintain an active voice.
- Use simple sentences. “Simple sentences are beautiful.”
- Let it rest. “Sleep on it.”
- Let it go. “Let it do its job, for good or bad.”