Reasons why some will not come to Christ
Gary Brady, on one of his myriad blogs, outlines a sermon by Benjamin Beddome suggesting at least eight sinful reasons why some will not come to Christ.
- Some men will say they have no need to come to Christ.
- Others imagine they are already come to Christ; and the act being performed, they have no need to repeat it.
- Some previous engagement is another excuse which sinners make for not coming to Christ.
- Some say they have tried but cannot come to Christ.
- Others who are deeply bowed down in spirit, do not so much plead their inability, as their unfitness and unworthiness.
- Some stumble at the austerities of religion, and the dangers to which it will expose them.
- It is the fear of some that if they do come to Christ, they shall either be rejected, or dishonour him.
- Many who do not come to Christ now, purpose to do so hereafter.
Gary fills out the headings with Beddome’s good, sound, Scriptural sense. Read it all.